Blacklight Power and its founder Randell Mills have a long history of making claims. They disappeared for a while after failing to commercialize the technology back in about 2009. Then they resurfaced in May of 2012. More of the history is below.
Using a proprietary water-based solid fuel confined by two electrodes of a SF-CIHT cell, and applying a current of 12,000 amps through the fuel, water ignites into an extraordinary flash of power. The fuel can be continuously fed into the electrodes to continuously output power. BlackLight has produced millions of watts of power in a volume that is one ten thousandths of a liter corresponding to a power density of over an astonishing 10 billion watts per liter.
The power-producing system catalytically converts the hydrogen of the H2O-based solid fuel into a non-polluting product, lower-energy state hydrogen called “Hydrino”, by allowing the electrons to fall to smaller radii around the nucleus. The energy release of H2O fuel, freely available in the humidity in the air, is one hundred times that of an equivalent amount of high-octane gasoline. The power is in the form of plasma, a supersonic expanding gaseous ionized physical state of the fuel comprising essentially positive ions and free electrons that can be converted directly to electricity using highly efficient magnetohydrodynamic converters. Simply replacing the consumed H2O regenerates the fuel. Using readily-available components, BlackLight has developed a system engineering design of an electric generator that is closed except for the addition of H2O fuel and generates ten million watts of electricity, enough to power ten thousand homes. Remarkably, the device is less than a cubic foot in volume. To protect its innovations and inventions, multiple worldwide patent applications have been filed on BlackLight’s proprietary technology.
This breakthrough transformational power technology can be witnessed in a live demonstration hosted by BlackLight of on January 28th at 11 AM.
Blacklight published some information in the International Journal of Energy Research - Catalyst Induced Hydrino Transition (CIHT) electrochemical cell
Atomic hydrogen is predicted to form fractional Rydberg energy states H(1/p) called ‘hydrino atoms’ wherein n = 1/2,1/3,1/4,…,1/p (p ≤ 137 is an integer) replaces the well-known parameter n = integer in the Rydberg equation for hydrogen excited states. The transition of H to a stable hydrino state H[aH/p = m + 1] having a binding energy of p2 × 13.6 eV occurs by a nonradiative resonance energy transfer of m × 27.2 eV (m is an integer) to a matched energy acceptor such as nascent H2O which has a potential energy of 81.6 eV (m = 3) to form an intermediate that decays with the emission of continuum bands with short wavelength cutoffs and energies of m2 × 13.6 eV. The predicted H(1/4) continuum radiation in the region 10 to 30 nm was observed first at BlackLight Power, Inc. (BLP) and reproduced at the Harvard Center for Astrophysics (CfA) wherein H2O catalyst was formed by a hydrogen reduction reaction at the anode of a hydrogen pinch plasma. By the same mechanism, the nascent H2O molecule formed by an oxidation reaction of OH− at a hydrogen anode is predicted to serve as a catalyst to form H(1/4) with an energy release of 204 eV compared to the 1.48 eV required to produce H from electrolysis of H2O. CIHT cells, each comprising a Ni anode, NiO cathode, a LiOH–LiBr eutectic mixture as the electrolyte, and MgO matrix exploit hydrino formation as a half-cell reaction to serve as a new electrical energy source. The cells were operated under intermittent H2O electrolysis to generate H at the anode and then discharged to form hydrinos wherein trace H2O vapor was supplied as entrained in an inert gas flow in otherwise closed cells. Net electrical production over the electrolysis input was measured using an Arbin BT 2000 (<0.1% error) and confirmed using a digital oscilloscope, wherein no theoretical conventional energy was possible. Materials characterizations included those that quantified any compositional change of the electrolyte by elemental analysis using ICPMS, XRF, and XRD, and SEM were performed on the anode. The electrical energies were continuously output over long-duration, measured on different systems, configurations, and modes of operation and were typically multiples of the electrical input that in most cases exceed the input by a factor of greater than 10. Calorimetry of solid fuels that exploited the same catalyst and a similar reaction mechanism showed excess thermal energy greater than 10 times the maximum possible from any conventional reaction. The predicted molecular hydrino H2(1/4) was identified as a product of CIHT cells and solid fuels by MAS 1H NMR, ToF-SIMS, ESI-ToFMS, electron-beam excitation emission spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, photoluminescence emission spectroscopy, FTIR, and XPS. History summary of Blacklight Power
BlackLight Power, Inc. (BLP) today announced a major breakthrough in clean energy technology, which experts agree holds tremendous promise for a wide range of commercial applications. The announcement comes on the heels of BlackLight’s recent completion of a $5 million round of financing to support commercial development of its new process for producing affordable, reliable energy from water vapor.
Back in 2008,Blacklight power claimed to have a 50kw prototype device.
Now in 2012, Dr. Mills says that BlackLight has achieved critical milestones in scaling its new technology with typical electrical gain of more than ten times that which initiates the process, operating over long duration at the 10 Watt (W) scale. A 100 W unit is planned for completion by the end of 2012, and a 1.5 kiloWatt (kW) pilot unit that can serve the residential power market, as an initial target commercial application, is expected to be operational by 2013. (One kW is equal to 1000 W, and 1.5 kW is the typical, average power consumption of a US home.)
In six separate, independent studies, leading scientists from academia and industry with PhDs from prestigious universities including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the California Institute of Technology, confirm that BlackLight has achieved a technological breakthrough with its CIHT (Catalyst-Induced-Hydrino-Transition) clean energy generating process and cell. The Process is fueled by water vapor that is a gaseous component of air and present wherever there is any source of water. The CIHT cell harnesses this energy as electrical power output and is suitable for essentially all power applications including transportation applications and electrical power production completely autonomous of fuels and grid infrastructure at a small fraction of the current capital costs.
So far lower power levels are claimed now.
Nextbigfuture had a lot of coverage of Blacklight Power claims from 2008 to 2010
Blacklight Power was supposed to have large scale commercial power deployed
Now they are shooting for
* W. Henry Weinberg, who was a professor of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry and Applied Physics at California Institute of Technology for eighteen years, a professor of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry and Materials Science at University of California, Santa Barbara for six years, and co-founder and CTO of Symyx Technologies for 13 years. “It would be irrational not to be very skeptical, and I was extremely skeptical. However, after having reviewed Dr. Mills classical theory, participated in experimental designs and execution, and having reviewed vast amounts of other data BLP produced, I have found nothing that warrants rejection of their extraordinary claims, and I encourage aggressive optimization and fast track development of a scaled up prototype,” said Dr. Weinberg. “To be able to use hydrogen from water as a cheap and nonpolluting source of power would represent one of the most important technological breakthroughs in history.”
* Dr. Terry Copeland, former manager of product development for several electrochemical and energy companies including DuPont Company and Duracell. “BLP has successfully fabricated and tested CIHT cells capable of producing net electrical output up to 50 times that input to maintain the process,” said Dr. Copeland. “Some cells have produced steady power for over one month. The power generation is consistent with Dr. Mills’ theory of energy release resulting from Hydrino formation. No other source of energy could be identified. The CIHT cell will use cheap, abundant, nontoxic, commodity chemicals, with no apparent long-term supply issues that might preclude commercial, high volume manufacturing. The capital cost of the CIHT cell based on optimization of the cell dimensions is estimated to be under $100/kW compared to at least ten times that for fuel cells that further require a source of hydrogen or hydrogen gas and a fuel infrastructure.”
* Dr. James Pugh, Director of Technology at The ENSER Corporation. “Representatives from the ENSER Corporation witnessed the assembly and operation of multiple CIHT cells, and the results showed excess electrical energy, up to 100 times that used to maintain the process in cells run as long as sixty days,” said Dr. Pugh. “There is no apparent difficulty in assembling single cell and multi-cell units, in a production scale environment. By carefully designing and optimizing the CIHT cell, a one-liter volume could generate 3.3 kW. This is greater than that necessary for motive as well as stationary electrical power applications.”
Links and copies of the validation reports are here
Blacklight Power had started talking about their more recent CIHT process back in 2010.
BlackLight Power announced that CIHT (Catalyst-Induced-Hydrino-Transition) technology has been independently confirmed by Dr. K.V. Ramanujachary, Rowan University Meritorious Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
They now claim it will provide power at 0.1 cents per kwh.
Their new description
CIHT Electrochemical Cell Generates Electricity Directly from Water Vapor
Each CIHT cell comprises a positive electrode, the cathode, a negative electrode, the anode, and an electrolyte that also serves as a source of reactants to form Hydrinos.
A Hydrino-producing reaction mixture creates electricity from H2O as the reactants are constituted with the migration of the electrons through an external circuit and ion mass transport through a separate internal path through the electrolyte to complete an electrical circuit.
The mechanism may be broken down to interdependent steps:
1. Assume CIHT is similar to an alkaline fuel cell, except that an electric current is passed through it and an inert atmosphere with trace H2O vapor surrounds the cathode, anode, and electrolyte.
2. Current is introduced, which produces hydrogen and oxygen from the electrolysis of the supplied trace H2O. Then, the cell is discharged for a much longer time than it was charged at essentially the same voltage maintained by the energy released from the hydrino reaction.
3. Nascent H2O is formed at the anode during discharge by oxidation of OH- and reaction with H. Hydrinos are then formed at the anode during cell discharge as a result of the atomic hydrogen reacting with the nascent water that serves as the catalyst to form the hydrinos.
4. When the hydrinos form, energy is given off that causes spontaneous electrochemical reactions to occur at both electrodes that result in a self-propagating electrochemical cycle wherein H2O is converted to hydrinos, electricity, and oxygen. Specifically, oxidation-reduction reactions of H2O involving oxygen and oxygen ion intermediates such as hydroxide, oxides, peroxides, and superoxides are involved in the spontaneous electrolysis of water powered by hydrino formation that in turn result in the formation of catalyst and hydrinos. The equivalent of Steps 1 and 2 occur continuously, except that no electricity has been applied during this process. Power is produced with a large net gain in electricity (e.g. 10X) over that to initiate the spontaneous electricity-producing process.
IF True, the world would change
Applications and markets for the SF-CIHT cell extend across the global power spectrum, including thermal, stationary electrical power, motive, and defense. Given the independence from existing infrastructure, grid in the case of electricity and fuels in the case of motive power, the SF-CIHT power source is a further game changer for all forms of transportation: automobile, freight trucks, rail, marine, aviation, and aerospace in that the power density is one million times that of the engine of a Formula One racer, and ten million times that of a jet engine. The SF-CIHT cell uses cheap, abundant, nontoxic, commodity chemicals, with no apparent long-term supply issues that might preclude commercial, high volume manufacturing. The projected cost of the SF-CIHT cell is between $10 and $100/kW compared to over one hundred times that for conventional power sources of electricity.
BlackLight’s previously reported pioneering solid fuels and CIHT electrochemical cell use the same catalyst as the newly invented SF-CIHT cells, and they served as a model for Dr. Mills to invent the breakthrough plasma producing SF-CIHT cell. These background technologies have been validated by industry. BlackLight’s results of multiples of the maximum theoretical energy release for representative solid fuels was replicated at Perkin Elmer’s Field Application Laboratory at their facility using their commercial instrument. Moreover, our advanced CIHT electrochemical cell was independently replicated offsite as well.
“We at The ENSER Corporation have performed about thirty tests at our premises using BLP’s CIHT electrochemical cells of the type that were tested and reported by BLP in the Spring of 2012, and achieved the three specified goals,” said Dr. Ethirajulu Dayalan, Engineering Fellow, of The ENSER Corporation. “We independently validated BlackLight’s results offsite by an unrelated highly qualified third party. We confirmed that hydrino was the product of any excess electricity observed by three analytical tests on the cell products, and determined that BlackLight Power had achieved fifty times higher power density with stabilization of the electrodes from corrosion.” Dr. Terry Copeland, who managed product development for several electrochemical and energy companies including DuPont Company and Duracell added, “Dr. James Pugh (then Director of Technology at ENSER) and Dr. Ethirajulu Dayalan participated with me in the independent tests of CIHT cells at The ENSER Corporation’s Pinellas Park facility in Florida starting on November 28, 2012. We fabricated and tested CIHT cells capable of continuously producing net electrical output that confirmed the fifty-fold stable power density increase and hydrino as the product.”
The disclosure of one of BlackLight’s patent application that was recently-filed worldwide, its 10 MW electric SF-CIHT cell system engineering design and simulation, high-speed video of millions of watts of supersonically expanding SF-CIHT cell plasma, The ENSER Corporation and Dr. Terry Copeland validation reports on the prior generation CIHT electrochemical cells, and the Perkin Elmer report on solid fuels are publicly available on BlackLight’s webpage (http://www.blacklightpower.com/). Technical papers by BlackLight providing the experimental tests of plasma to electric conversion, results of excess energy production from solid fuels, results of continuous electricity production at fifty times higher power density than prior generation CIHT electrochemical cells, and the detailed chemistry and identification of Hydrinos by ten analytical methods that laboratories can follow and replicate are given at http://www.blacklightpower.com/.
If you liked this article, please give it a quick review on ycombinator or StumbleUpon. Thanks