They have raised about $7500 out of $10,000 to improve the precision from 500 microns to 200 microns.
We aim to raise $10,000 for materials to refine and package our technology into a producible product. In order to achieve the reliability and price point needed to make this good invention a great product, we need to finish our research and development. Funds will go toward the following activities:
* Refine the metal clay recipe for each of five different clay types: Copper, Bronze, Steel, Silver & Gold.
* Refine our high-pressure extruder design. We currently have a reliable extrusion trace at around 0.5mm but believe this can be reduced to 200 microns.
* Add a second print head for use with additional metal clays or support material.
* Optimize the integrated motor carriage design so that it can be easily printed on low cost printers such as the Makerbot and RepRap.
* Refine custom firmware for the printer to further optimize printing for clay.
* Create the Mini Metal Forge software environment in order to foster a good user experience, particularly for the non-technical craftsperson.
* Work with industrial partners to tool up for production of the machine with injection molding.
If you liked this article, please give it a quick review on ycombinator or StumbleUpon. Thanks