How to make the new genetic information actionable
By 2015 the full human genome sequencing will be $100. It should be about $1000 this year.
$100 is about the cost of a blood count test (CDC)
Why DNA testing
* Diagnostic testing
* presymptomatic and predictive testing
* having babies
- carrier testing, preimplantation testing, prenatal testing, newborn screening
* pharmacogenomics, to determine what medication and dosage will be most effective
Genotype appropriate diet more effective.
In one Stanford study. Genotype appropriate diet participants lost 13.2 lbs vs 4 lbs for the regular diets.
Need to get matched with a test to the right diet
* low fat diet (omish diet)
* low carb diet (atkins)
Eating behaviors detected genetically
1. hunger and satiety
3. eating disinhibition and food desire
4. sweet tooth
23andme.com $99 a year
Figure out what is best for supplements, food plan and exercise and medication
If you liked this article, please give it a quick review on ycombinator or StumbleUpon. Thanks