The world's first 3D scanner for iPhone is here. Instantly capture 3D models of yourself, friends, and family, and share the amazing results with the world. Trimensional uses both the screen and the front-facing camera on your iOS device, detecting patterns of light reflected off your face to build a true 3D model. 3D scanners usually start at around US$3,000. The app also works on the iPad 2 Wi-Fi and 4th generation iPod touch, and is available through iTunes.
To use Trimensional :
1) Go into a room and turn out the lights (the darker, the better)
2) Turn the brightness all the way up on the phone's screen
3) Place the phone within 20 centimeters (8 inches) of the object you wish to scan, then hit capture.
4) The phone will proceed to take four photos, each one lit from a different angle but the phone itself is held still.
5) Trimensional software will then combine those four photos into one 3D image.
You can scan an object using your iPhone and immediately export a printable STL file via email*. Within seconds, you'll go from 3D scanning to 3D printing with no manual clean-up required.
Trimensional even has built-in methods to smooth the geometry of your scan and to ensure the exported model is made watertight by placing a closed rectangular back on the scan.
*3D Model Export is enabled through a one-time In App Purchase that lets you export as many 3D models as you like in STL, OBJ, or PLY format.
If you liked this article, please give it a quick review on ycombinator or StumbleUpon. Thanks