* The population of the 31 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities and of servicemen on the mainland of China was 1.340 billion.
* The population of Hong Kong was 7097600 persons.
* The population of Macao was 552300 persons.
* The population of Taiwan was 23162123 persons.
* Since Nov 1, 2000, population increased by 73.9 million, or 5.84 percent over the past 10 years. The average annual growth rate was 0.57 percent.
Here is a 25 page study of population projections for China to 2050 based on various fertility and life expectancy assumptions from the University of Monash.
There have been discussions about loosening population restrictions and targeting a fertility rate of 1.8. The current fertility rate in China is between 1.5 and 1.8 depending upon how many female births are being hidden.
* 686852572 persons or 51.27 percent were males, while 652872280 persons or 48.73 percent were females.
222459737 persons were in the age group of 0-14, (16.60%)
939616410 persons in the age group of 15-59 (70.14%)
177648705 persons in the age group of 60 and over (13.26%)
118831709 persons were in the age group of 65 and over (8.87%)
Since the 2000 population census
Share of 0-14 was down by 6.29 percentage points
Share of 15-59 was up by 3.36 percentage points
Share of 60 and over was up by 2.93 percentage points
Share of 65 and over was up by 1.91 percentage points.
665575306 persons were urban residents (49.68%)
674149546 persons were rural residents (50.32%).
Since the 2000 population census,
urban residents increased by 207137093 persons
rural residents dropped by 133237289 persons.
The proportion of urban residents rose by 13.46 percentage points.
If you liked this article, please give it a quick review on ycombinator or StumbleUpon. Thanks