Nanoletters - A Noise-Assisted Reprogrammable Nanomechanical Logic Gate
We present a nanomechanical device, operating as a reprogrammable logic gate, and performing fundamental logic functions such as AND/OR and NAND/NOR. The logic function can be programmed (e.g., from AND to OR) dynamically, by adjusting the resonator’s operating parameters. The device can access one of two stable steady states, according to a specific logic function; this operation is mediated by the noise floor which can be directly adjusted, or dynamically “tuned” via an adjustment of the underlying nonlinearity of the resonator, i.e., it is not necessary to have direct control over the noise floor. The demonstration of this reprogrammable nanomechanical logic gate affords a path to the practical realization of a new generation of mechanical computers.
Raj Mohanty's web page
Raj Mohanty Nano Group at Boston University
Publications of the Nano group
64) A Noise-Assisted Reprogrammable Nanomechanical Logic Gate
D. N. Guerra, A. R. Bulsara, W. L. Ditto, S. Sinha, K. Murali and P. Mohanty
Nano Lett. (2010), Nano Lett.
63) Signal amplification by 1/f noise in silicon-based nanomechanical resonators
D. N. Guerra, T. Dunn and P. Mohanty
Nano Lett., 9 (9), 3096 (2009), Nano Lett.
62) Noise color and asymmetry in stochastic resonance with silicon nanomechanical resonators
T. Dunn, D. N. Guerra and P. Mohanty
Eur. Phys. J. B 69, 5 (2009) EPJB
61) Nanomechanical Resonators
J. Wenzler, M. Imboden, T. Dunn, D. N. Guerra, and P. Mohanty
In ‘Handbook of Nanophysics’, (Taylor & Francis, New York, 2010)
60) Arbitrary distribution and nonlinear modal interaction in coupled nanomechanical resonators
J. Dorignac, A. Gaidarzhy, and P. Mohanty
J. Appl. Phys. 105, 103520 (2009), J. Appl. Phys.
59) Evidence of universality in the dynamical response of micromechanical ultra-nanocrystalline diamond resonators at millikelvin temperatures
M. Imboden and P. Mohanty
Phys. Rev. B 79, 125424 (2009),
58) Nanomechanical detection of itinerant electron spin flip
G. Zolfagharkhani, A. Gaidarzhy, P. Degiovanni, S. Kettemann, P. Fulde, and P. Mohanty
Nature Nanotechnology 3, 720 – 723 (2008), Nature Nanotech
57) Nanoelectromechanical system-integrated detector with silicon nanomechanical resonator and silicon nanochannel field effect transistor
J. Wenzler, T. Dunn, S. Erramilli and P. Mohanty
J. Appl. Phys. 105, 094308 (2009), J. Appl. Phys.
56) Response spectrum of coupled nanomechanical resonators
J. Dorignac, A. Gaidarzhy and P. Mohanty
J. Appl. Phys. 104, 073532 (2008), J. Appl. Phys.
Netbook Technology News